Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Bolivia Here They Come

My sister, Cynthia, her husband, Tony, and a team from their church, Horizons Community Church in Phoenix, Arizona are going on a mission trip to Bolivia. They leave November 4th.

Please join me in praying for them!

Please pray these things for them:

-Safe travel. They will have 9 flight connections in all.

-Safety while in Bolivia. The Bolivian government is unfriendly to Americans and there is an election coming up in November. There could be violent protests, etc...

-Flexibility for the team. To handle changes while there.

-Relationships within the team, that they would be a good testimony to Christ.

-That the VBS they are planning for the children would impact them and show the children God's love.

-That they will all stay healthy and have a great time.

Here are a couple of links, one to the blog page for the team going to Bolivia and a website for Horizons Community Church.

www.horizonscc.com/blog.htm

www.horizonscc.com/bolivia.htm

Now, if you all would indulge me, I would love to share some things with you about my wonderful sister.


Isn't she beautiful! She is my big sister, I always say, "she's 10 years older", but in actuality she's 9 years, 7 months and 17 days older. She has two grown children, a son who is a police officer and a daughter who is a registered nurse. She loves animals (they have 3 dogs, a cat and 2 turtles). She's creative, loving, outgoing and goofy(sometimes, just like me)! She has been a Pastor's wife for.. well, I can't say how long... at least 20+ years.

But, the most beautiful thing about my sister is her heart. As my Big Sister, she cared for me when I was a baby. In fact, my crib was in her room! When I would cry she would be at my crib before my mom got there, so they decided to put me in her room. She became a follower of Christ in college and led me to the Lord on summer vacation. I am so grateful to her for her willingness to share!

When mom was in the hospital for the last 52 days of her life (she died of leukemia), Cynthia sacrificed time with her young family to be in Utah to support us and mom. Likewise, when my father was dying from cancer and came to live at our home for his last few months, she spent several weeks here, just to support me and help care for dad (who by the way was her step-dad and not always the nicest to her. But that's another story, it just shows her heart).

When my children where born she was here, which in the case of when Scott was born was huge. I suffered with some post-partum depression and really needed help. She was here! I have to say "Thanks" also to Tony as I am thinking about all this. His heart is wonderful, too, and he has always been willing to let Cynthia leave to come help me.

Several years ago she began a job as a chaplain with a company called Market Place Ministries. She visits a number of different companies and is available for counseling, crises, employee assistance, etc... When she realized that a very large number of the people that she was working with where Spanish speaking, she decided to learn Spanish so she would be more of a help to them. So today I have a bilingual sister who amazes me with her dedication to the people she helps and the desire to learn more to help them.

This is just a snapshot of my sister, but I hope that you have seen how wonderful she is and how proud of her I am. I don't know where I would be in my life if it wasn't for her love and care of me over the years. Cynthia, I thank God for you! Much LOVE!

Here are some photos of her and her family. Thanks for reading!



We went on a trip to Sea World. Tony and Cynthia.



A day at the beach, she wasn't watching the ocean!


Tony, Rachel, Cynthia & Ashlyn


Tony, Rachel (daugther) & Andrew (son).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome blog - thanks for sharing your thoughts on Cynthia and the reminder of their trip!!! Can't wait to hear all about it!!!! I'll be praying with you!!!! Tell her I said Hi!!!