Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Into the Swing of Things

It seems like we are back in the swing of things here! School, Bible studies, small group, and a new part of the routine, doctor’s appointments and tests! I will have to admit that I have really been having a hard time with all the calls, scheduling, rescheduling and referrals. I suppose it is all our new “normal”! I know that God is in control, but I wish that we didn’t have to go through this. However, I will say that my faith has been stretched and strengthened and I am in AWE of how God works. The way He has used people we have been close to for years and people we haven’t even met is just a JOY to behold.

It says in the book of James in the Bible: My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. James 1:2-4

What a strange thing to say, at least in my mind, to look at something that causes so much heartache and grief, the trial of a child with a serious disease, as a joy!!! But, I can say that I have felt joy in the midst of this and have been able to share with others why I am feeling the calm that I am. Would I rather not be going down this path? Absolutely! But, I have learned so much about faith and the perfect strength of God and how to rest in that and know that He is in control and whatever he has planned for my baby boy is going to be great! The patience thing, I’m still working on that…

Scott had another test today. An Auditory Evoked Potential test. I didn’t know that this was being planned, so I was a little shocked when they called to schedule the appointment. The doctor requesting the test is Scott’s geneticist, which kind of surprised me, since he had already had a hearing test and every thing was good. This test, as explained to me, is to check the nerves for the ear/hearing. Sorry, I can’t be any more technical than that. I had been told that it was a 90 minute test and we needed to bring him in sleep deprived. So we kept him up late last night and let him read in bed after we had gone to bed. Then we all got up before the crack of dawn to go to breakfast before the test, which was at 7:30 a.m. Most of us in this family aren’t “morning” people. Only Scott wakes up with a smile and a cheery disposition, so getting everybody out the door by 6:00 a.m. was an accomplishment!

Chuck took the day off to be there with Scott, as I had to work this morning and we where expecting to be there a long time. As it turns out, by 8:10 they were done! Chuck was told that it was a “good” test. Not exactly sure what that means, but sounds positive. We’ll have to wait for a doctor to review the results before we can get a report from the test.

Scott is now scheduled for the puberty stimulation test on October 6 & 7. It is a two day process and requires several blood draws. They are also going to do a glucose test on the second day of the test.

Here’s the latest prayer requests:

That we would continue to get referrals and appointments in a timely fashion and
that they would be to the right doctors.

For Scott during the puberty stimulation test (the one questions he always asks when we are going to tests is, “will I have to have a shot”?

Continued strength and wisdom of Chuck and I

Thanks for your prayers! They are sustaining us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update!!! Praise God for "joy in our circumstances". James has some great things to say in God's Word - thanks for sharing your heart!!!

Kristi Bowers said...

Thank you for the update!! Praying for all that you are doing!!